Pages

Karibu! Welcome to Kenya

Day three in Kenya! Yesterday we went to visit the kids for the first time and it was great! We had so much fun playing with them all. We picked up the older kids from school about 20 minutes from the school. We walked back with a massive mob of students eager to follow the "muzungus" or the white people. Some of my favorite memories are simply walking hand in hand with the children and just being. It was surreal to be back in the same place from two years ago. I will be updating with progress pictures of the home later. The second story of the girls dormitory is built , the classrooms have been remodeled and the kitchen is twice the size. Tomorrow we will be painting and starting on construction work. Today was church and it was a blast. The kids sing their hearts out and dance and worship the Lord with everything they have. The whole room was filled with worship and I could feel the Holy Spirit in that space. It's amazing how we can feel the presence of the Lord anywhere in the world. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing soccer with the kids and making friendship bracelets with the older girls. It was a sweet time to be with the older girls as we got to sing together, tell stories and craft. The girls are all very sweet and have such love for one another. I had the brilliant idea of getting cornrows/braids for my time in Kenya. It took a total of 3 and 1/2 hours of tedious pulling, yanking, braiding with 2-10 people working on my massive amount of hair. It was a fun project for the girls but my scalp definitely took the beating. The final project is very.... Interesting. We shall see how long it lasts. Overall I'm so happy and blessed to be here. Seeing the kids made me realize how beautiful and simple life is. The kids are totally content to just sit in the grass, play with one another hours on end and just be. I'm so excited to see my relationships with the kids deepen and grow within the next month. The kids here are fighters , survivors and lovers with their own individual stories that I have the privilege of hearing. 
"Be still and know that I am God, I will be exalted amount the nations. I will be exalted among the earth"-Psalm 46:10


No comments:

Post a Comment